Thursday, January 20, 2011

I found my 3rd great grandfather's request for amnesty

My grandmother Otis, shared a great deal with me about her Tucker ancestral line.  She said her grandmother ,Martha, grew up in the household with George Epps Tucker (1860-1927).  George Epps was adopted by his grandfather, James Anderson Tucker (1802-1885)  after his mother died prior to 1870.  George's father died sometime after the 1860 Census was taken.

I was never sure if my 3rd great grandfather, James Anderson Tucker (1802-1885), of Union District, South Carolina actively supported the Confederacy.  I knew that he had adopted his grandson, George Epps Tucker (1860-1927), my great grandfather,  who was a minor when his mother died.  James became caretaker of George's estate until he became of age.

George Epps Tucker (1860-1927)


In my search to discover more about George Epps Tucker's father, George Anderson Tucker (abt. 1830-abt. 1860), I have discovered the amnesty papers of his father, James Anderson Tucker who is both slave owner and ancestor to me.  I descend from the James Anderson Tucker through George Epps Tucker 20 years after the end of slavery.

Footnote has amnesty papers.  I was not familiar with this record type, so I am sharing it with you as well.  When Andrew Johnson pardoned Confederates at the end of the Civil War on May 29, 1865, some had to apply for amnesty because they were not granted amnesty in the proclamation issued.  James Anderson Tucker had to apply for amnesty because his net worth  was more than 20,000.  To learn more about Amnesty and reasons for exclusion, see "Amnesty Papers," 1865-1867.

This a portion of the application of amnesty of James Anderson Tucker:

The State of South Carolina to His Excellency, Andrew Johnson, President of the United States.
The petition of James A. Tucker, citizen of Union District and State aforesaid, respectfully sheweth that he participated in the late rebellion against the United States by contributing taxation and donations toward the support then of that he may be liable to the pains and penalties of treason and confiscation.  Your petitioner has taken the amnesty oath as prescribed by President Johnson, but as he may be worth more than 20,000 dollars of taxable property, he desires a full pardon. Your petitioner is desirable of being restored to the rights and benefits of a citizen of the United States and obligations of a legal citizen of the same. Your petitioner prays that a full pardon be granted in the premises.


                                                                                         James A. Tucker
I thought this would be a great resource to add to the FamilySearch Wiki.  I contributed to the following page:

FamilySearch Wiki: Confederate Sources.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...