Saturday, February 5, 2011

Document your ancestor before 1870 using 1869 SC State Census


The 1869 South Carolina State Population Census is available on microfilm at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History(SCDAH). It was the first census taken that lists the African American head of household by name.  No other members of the household are named, however,  it can be beneficial if an ancestor was not able to be located on the 1870 United States Census.

This index lists the number of children from 6 to 16 by race and gender, number of males over 21 by race, and number of persons of all ages by race and gender.  Each of the following counties are available:

Abbeville, Anderson, Barnwell, Beaufort, Charleston, Chester, Chesterfield, Clarendon, Colleton, Darlington, Edgefield, Fairfield, Georgetown, Greenville, Horry, Lancaster, Laurens, Lexington, Marion, Marlboro, Newberry, Orangeburg, Pickens, Richland, Sumter, Union, Williamsburg, and York.

This record is missing for the counties of Kershaw, Oconee, and Spartanburg. I added this record to the page I am building on FamilySearch Wiki entitled South Carolina African Americans: Census Records

I found several ancestors this week. I created a chart below.  Jas. Anderson Tucker, Pettus W. Chick, are slave owners who are also ancestors.  Kincaid Vance, is the same J. K. Vance whose Confederate Civil War record that I wrote about last month.  He was a half-brother and slave owner to Beverly Vance below.

I am fortunate that they all still lived near each other. I am also fortunate to be able to find my 3rd great grandmother, Eliza Maybin living next to Pettus W. Chick.  She changed her name to Eigner in 1880.  Her son, Anderson changed his name from Maybin to Eigner to Chick.  I have yet to figure out how the surnames of Maybin and Eigner tie in. 

If you live far away and would like someone to look check this census for an ancestor, please let me know.

My Findings
Name of Person Children 6-16
Males     Females
W/C       W/C
Males over 21
White/Colored


Number of free
persons of all age
Males                        Females
White/Colored
White/Colored
ABBEVILLE COUNTY






Kincaid Vance
Image #2
2W               3W 3W
5W
7W
Beverly Vance
Image 2 (2nd g)
3C                 1C                  1C 4C
4C
Andrew Johnson
Image 46
(2nd g)
2C                 1C 1C 1C
8C
Andrew Johnson (JR) Image #53

1C 2C
UNION COUNTY






Jas. A. Tucker

(4th g)
1W 1W
1W
Pettus W. Chick (3rd g)
1W 1W
2W
Eliza Maybin
(3rd g)
1C

4C
1C
Henry Sims
(3rd g)


1C 1C

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this information. I live in Germany, and am dependent on online information to advance my genealogical research. If you still have time to support those of us who can't simply nip over to check on their own family's information, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really love it if you could look in 1869 McColl, Marlboro County for my ancestor Simon McRae born around 1840 with a wife Alice born around 1848. Index says they are married in 1871. But cant find Simon anywhere in 1870. They are in the 1880 census of Robeson County, North Carolina with girls ages 9,7,4 and boy 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this information, I wish I could go to the SC archives but I am unable to get there. I would appreciate if you could research for me Eli and Maria Garick, for me. I have located them on the 1880 Orangeburg, SC census but I have not found them on the 1870 census. There should be Harriet G Garick as well and James Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SEARCHING FOR GG GRANDFATHER NAMED WADE PRATT. MY GGRANDMOTHER, LUCINDA (LULA) PRATT WHITE, HIS DAUGHTER TOLD ME THEY LIVED IN CHESTER, S.C. SHE WAS BORN ABOUT 1869 AND HAD A TWIN NAMED MARY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SEARCHING FOR GG GRANDFATHER NAMED WADE PRATT. MY GGRANDMOTHER, LUCINDA (LULA) PRATT WHITE, HIS DAUGHTER TOLD ME THEY LIVED IN CHESTER, S.C. SHE WAS BORN ABOUT 1869 AND HAD A TWIN NAMED MARY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Texas and I've started my search for my ancestors. I have run into a brick wall, can't get past census year 1880. I am looking for information on the Belcher family, residing in Abbeville SC. The 1880 census shows: Simon Belcher born 1835 and his wife Martha Belcher born 1843. Nothing else listed beyond 1880 for them. Also searching for information on the Thomas Aiken family. They also resided in Abbeville SC. He is listed in the 1910 census for Abbeville, along with his wife, Lillie(Lily)(Belcher)Aiken. Nothing on him beyond 1910 census. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been researching my mother and father side since 2011. It has been trial and error for me but I also must say it has been a search of pure joy; like when I found my great grandmother as a 8 year old. In fact her entire family including her mother and father. As for you, try looking at his wife and you may find clues. Are you on Ancestry or Family Search. Family Search is a free site. Try it, you might be surprised. Good luck

      Delete
    2. One other thing Vickie. My great grandmother was a slave in Lewisville, Chester, South Carolina. She passed in 1964 at 102. She passed when I was 20 years old

      Delete
  7. Gabby Carter
    Searching for Wilson Chambers before the 1870 census.He was residing in Mount Croghan,Chesterfield South Carolina.
    I am also searching for Franklin(Frank( Huntley who also resided in Mount Croghan.They were both Black.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Searching for craig or barnes from out of Lancaster Sc

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...