Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Compiled Service Records of J. K. Vance of Abbeville County, South Carolina

Last week I found the Confederate Citizen's File for J. K. Vance.  I am pretty anxious to discover all I can about him because he is the half brother to Beverly Vance, and he also owned Beverly.  Beverly is my great great grandfather. 

I discovered J. K. Vance's Confederate Civil War Service Records on FamilySearch Internet in the Historical Records collection.  The records were indexed, but the images were not there.  There was, however, a link provided to the records on Footnote.  I am so grateful for that because it saved me a lot of time.

I noticed  J. K. Vance served with the 1st SC State Troops in Company F and with the 5th Regiment SC Reserves.  I really want to learn more about these regiments in case there may be clues about Beverly during this time.  He could have been either with J. K. or on the plantation. There is an article on the FamilySearch Wiki: South Carolina Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, and I can contribute more that I find.

If you want to trace the steps I took to locate this record beginning at FamilySearch, see: Historical Records also points to original images on other sites.


First State Troops (Six Months, 1863-64) E-Y » V » Vance, J K » Page 1

NARA M267. Compiled service records of Confederate soldiers from South Carolina units, labeled with each soldier's name, rank, and unit, with links to revealing documents about each soldier.


First State Troops (Six Months, 1863-64) E-Y » V » Vance, J K » Page 2


First State Troops (Six Months, 1863-64) E-Y » V » Vance, J K » Page 3




Fifth Reserves (Ninety Days, 1862-63) T-Y, Fifth (Brown's) Battalion, Reserves Fifth Militia » V » Vance, J K » Page 1


Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina, NARA, Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Confederate Organizations , compiled 1903 - 1927, documenting the period 1861 - 1865, Record group 109, Fifth Reserves (Ninety Days, 1862-63) T-Y, Fifth (Brown's) Battalion, Reserves Fifth Militia, Vance, J. K., Footnote.com: http://www.footnote.com/image/#75159650 Date accessed: Jan 25, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...